Friday, January 6, 2012

To Seize or Not to Seize

Yesterday I read an rather interesting post called Don't Carpe Diem.  It was linked to by my sister in law, who is also my dear sister in Christ, a good friend, and an awesome mama. 

First time I read through the article, I wasn't sure I liked it.  Not that it wasn't well written, it was.  But I work really hard to LOVE my calling as a wife and mother.  I work really, really hard to find joy in all of my tasks.  And, I want my children to know that I love being around them - because, I do.  I don't want them to ever feel like they are a nuisance to me, because I can imagine what that would feel like.

I don't want to be eyeballing the clock as though raising my children were some random 9-5 job I'm working at.  As though I can't wait to shuttle them off to bed so I can do what I REALLY want.  And, I strive to remain cheerful even when I'm really not loving whatever job comes my way.  Keeping a positive attitude toward my life and family is so important to me.  So, I decided I wasn't a huge fan of the post.

But then, I woke up feeling vaguely unwell after baby got up four times last night, instead of her usual once.

I realized that baby is teething.  I realized this because my usually bubbly, sunshiney baby spent almost the whole day crying. 

My charming two-year-old decided that today, he'd be more two than charming.  He skipped his nap and spent the day wreaking havok.

So, I thought I'd take them all out for a walk to enjoy the bizarrely warm weather.  I rounded up shoes, coats, changed two diapers, changed two shirts that got soaked when the villains dear children decided to fill up the kitchen sink and splash in it while I changed the baby, wiped up the water, dug the stroller out of the garage, strapped the still-wailing, teething baby into the Ergo, and off we went.  After we went back in to get my jacket.  Poor baby wailed throughout the entire half hour walk.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

It was ironic that this day happened while I was still trying to decide if I liked that article or not.  Guess what?  As it turns out, I do.  Kind of.  Here's one I do like a little better: For Tired Young Mothers of Many.  And one more:  Do Toddlers and Well-Ordered Days Mix?

Two truths:
  1. Mothering is hard.  It's not always fun.  It's frequently not fun.  No one should be made to feel like they ought to be floating through life two inches above the ground, blissfully making crafts and sipping strawberry tea all day.  We all grit our teeth.  We all try to hide in the bathroom, but forget to lock the door.  (Or is that just me?)  It's ok.
  2. We are not babysitters.  We are not punching a clock.  We are raising people, who will be partly made of the home and memories we surround them with, and the lessons we teach them by word, deed, and attitude.  We are investing our lives in them.  Heaven forbid, when we blink and they are gone, that we are left with memories of wishing those days away.  I would find that a bitter reward for my labors.
Looking over my pictures, I tried to find one of a wailing baby to put at the top of this.  I thought it'd be fitting.  But - I couldn't find any.  I found pictures like these:







These pictures washed away my rough day and put it all in perspective.   Attitude.  Memories.  Taking a deep breath and the long view.  Prayer, and lots of it.   Sometimes to really seize the day, you have to let it go.  And if we don't love every minute, we need to love our kids through every minute.  That's the important thing.

Be blessed-

 

Linked up at:
















No comments: