Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Organizing Challenge - Turning the Corner

Time for a progress update on the Frightening Bedroom of Doom.

If you are new to this series, you can see the beginning here.  You can follow my progress by using the "Weekly Challenge" label...even though this isn't really a "weekly" challenge anymore. 

This week I took this:



And turned it into this:



I also cleaned under the desk.  This might not sound like much, but when I was about half done and remembered to snap a picture, it looked like this:


The finished product:


I also threw out another bag of trash, and took another huge box to Savers, from stuff over by the closet.  (I LOVE getting rid of stuff.  It's so much better than putting stuff away.  If you put it away, it will be gotten back out.  If you get rid of it, it will never need put away again.)

And, I am somewhat surprised to be able to report, the parts of the room I already cleaned are mostly staying that way.  The room is beginning to look generally clean with a few scary places, rather than universally horrifying. This seems like a significant turning point!

But, for all that, I found today's decluttering efforts discouraging.  The above projects took a long time for such a small space (the pile was very deep).  I knew when I started that this would take me a long time, and I am enjoying the spaces that I have cleared...but, just being real - I'm kind of tired of cleaning this mess up.  How did it get this way?  And how can I prevent it from happening again?  I am trying to brainstorm ways to keep this mess from ever coming back.  I am a natural born piler, and I have trouble knowing where to put things that don't an obvious home.  I am hoping that if I get rid of enough stuff, places to put the things I have left will become more obvious.  Maybe??  Let's hope!

The best part of the cleaning today?  This:


An earring that I lost months ago - way down behind the desk.  It's one of my favorite pairs, and I was thrilled to find it again!



Linked up at:  A Slob Comes Clean

No comments: