Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY - laundry soap


I have been making my own laundry soap for several years now.  I find that it works very well, the savings are significant, and it's not a lot of work.  It's quite convenient, actually, since I make a very large batch that lasts me for months - and I do about 4 - 7 loads a week.  I use the recipe found here, except I double the amount of Fels Naptha.  I have found this to be necessary; otherwise our clothes do not smell clean.  Also, I find that it gels up more pleasingly that way. 

Follow the link for the directions; I follow them exactly aside from the extra Fels Naptha.  I have a big bucket that used to hold commercial laundry detergent.  I would say that to make a batch of this takes about half an hour.  Most of that is grating the soap, which is a pain.  Don't be tempted to leave bigger chunks to save time, though.  They will take forrrreeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr to melt.  Trust me.



This post is linked to No Ordinary Blog Hop , to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, and to Raising Olives

No comments: