Thursday, January 26, 2012

DIY - Baby Cereal

One little project that actually has made it off my lists and into real life is homemade baby cereal.  For some reason, I thought this would be hard - I have always used the instant kind.

But, it's really not.  This is a very quick, simple, and gratifying project if you have a baby eating baby food.

The first kind I tried was brown rice.  I put the dry rice in a coffee grinder (you should probably make sure that all the coffee is out of it, though.  I never use ours for coffee, so that's easy for me.  If you need to clean it first, just run some salt through it).  You could probably use a food processor too. I ground it into powder:


Then, I cooked 1/4 cup of the powder with 1 1/4 cup water.  I live at high altitude; you may need less water if you live closer to sea level.  Put the rice powder in the cold water, whisk well, and bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat and cook about 10 minutes, whisking and/or stirring occasionally.  It gets pretty thick; you will need to thin it out.  I use water, or you could use pumped breast milk if you have it.

This size batch lasts us about two days.  I keep the unthinned leftovers in the fridge, and just plop some in a bowl, add some water, and microwave it briefly.  It will be lumpy; whisk it again with a small fork. (Alternately, you can heat water on the stove and use that to thin the chilled cereal.  That works very well.)



That's it!  The best part is that it actually tastes like rice - unlike the instant kind.  Takes a few minutes once a week or so to grind the rice, then every couple of days 10 or 15 minutes to cook up a new batch.  I cook it while I am in the kitchen doing other things, so it really only adds a minute or two to my day.  Abby loves it - and so does her 2 year old brother.  As long as he gets to use a baby spoon!

A satisfied customer. :)




Linked up at:   The Homestead Barn HopNo Ordinary Blog Hop, and Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways
Our Simple Farm

No comments: