Monday, December 5, 2011

Organizing Challenge: Baby Steps

Yes, Flylady said it first...and she is so right about that one.  I used to be a huge Flylady fan - she really helped me get my act together and change some important habits, back a good 7 or 8 years ago now.  I don't find her system to work well for me now, with 6 kids and homeschooling, but some important principles remain.  From those days, these are some principles that have stuck with me:
  • 15 minutes at a time.  For anyone with a very full, possibly unpredictable schedule - like a homeschooling mama with a pile o' little ones - this is really, really helpful indispensable.  For example, the mess in our master bedroom is large.  It's shocking.  It's embarrassing, and so overwhelming.  I know it will take hours to take care of.  But guess what?  Hours are made of minutes.  I can't spend hours...but I have a few minutes, now and then, and they do add up.
  • You can't organize clutter.  It's true.  You just can't, and it's a waste of time to try.  Toss it and feel your space lighten up.  If it is usable, donate it and let it bless someone who may really need it.
  • Baby steps.  Big changes come gradually.  A little steady progress is the best kind!
So...it's been a very long time since I've been over to Flylady's website, so I don't know if much has changed, but that is what I remember.  For the record...I was never willing to wear shoes.   Maybe I'm just a hick, but bare feet tell my brain, "I'm home, happy, and ready to roll!" ;-)

Anyway, that being said, I'm reporting in to share my "baby steps" on the Frightening Bedroom of Doom.  The FBD hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as I hoped it would, what with Thanksgiving and a baby who has suddenly decided that sleep is a nighttime-only activity.  (She has almost entirely stopped napping.  She is not quite 6 months old.  I think she may be teething, and if you would like to pray that she will get over this phase quickly I'd be much obliged!).  Hence you may notice that I have altered the title of the series from a "weekly" challenge to a less demanding "organizing" challenge.  Aaaahhh...that much less stress in my life.

Ok, so here is the desk BEFORE I spent about half an hour on it.  I don't have a severe piling habit screaming to be broken, by the way.  In case you were wondering.


Now, here it is, after.  This really only took me about 30 minutes.  Mark is so delighted that he can reach Turretin without causing seismic activity.  Obviously, it's not done.  Baby steps, right?


Now, if you read the end of the girls' room series, you will recognize this:



Today I was able to spend about 20 minutes (didn't time it, but I promise I didn't have much time.  Didn't even have time to time it...).  Here is how far I got:


I finally found a home for the white drawer thingy which I moved out of the kids' room last month.  Behind it was a largish pile of baby clothes, mostly outgrown or off season, that I sorted out.  So, yep, it's still a mess.  But it's a SMALLER mess, and that is an encouraging thought. 

Is the whole room still overwhelming?  Yes.  Yes it is.  It's still the FBD.  I hope to make a lot of progress this week, since after this week I'll be quite busy with Christmas prep.  I guess we'll see how that goes. 

Do you have a room that is so overwhelming you can hardly face it?  Go spend 5 minutes on it.  Just 5.  You'll be surprised how it adds up - and who knows?  You may find a long lost treasure that some short person lost a month ago, and that will make you the hero of the day.  I love it when that happens!



Linked up with:

No comments: