Monday, December 12, 2011

Easy and lovely Christmas candy

This week I made our Christmas candy.  I make this most every year.  Often I make it and give most of it away.  This year we, um, decided to eat it all ourselves.  *blush*

Both of these recipes I hand-copied out of a waiting room magazine years ago.  The only thing I had to write on was a little paper bag.  By now, you may know that I am NOT the kind of person that would keep a recipe on a paper bag for 6 or 7 years.  I, of course, rushed right home and copied the recipes, in my best calligraphy, on recipe cards.

Or not.  At least I haven't lost it.

Anyway.  Here are the recipes.  We love both of these, and they are quick enough to not stress me out too much, what with everything else there is to do in December!

Mint Chocolate Bark

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 t oil
1 t peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring
  1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.  Melt the semisweet chips, in the microwave or in a double boiler, whatever makes you happy.   When completely smooth, pour onto cookie sheet and spread to 1/4 inch thick.
  2. Melt the white chocolate chips with the oil.  When melted and smooth, add peppermint extract and the green coloring.  Stir well.  Pour over chocolate layer, and spread to edges.  Draw a knife thru the layers to swirl.  (Mine tends to swirl quite a bit on its own, but I do the knife thing anyway for effect. ;)Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minute.
  3. Remove from pan, peel off paper, and chop into bars of desired size.  Store in the refrigerator.


Oreo Cookie Bark
Usually I use the regular kind, but this year I had some of the seasonal red ones in the pantry, so I used those.  I liked the effect.
20 Oreos, broken. 
2 2/3 cup white chocolate chips or semisweet chips
1 t vanilla, if you use the semisweet chips

  1. Line a 9 inch square baking pan with waxed paper and spray with cooking spray.  (If you think cooking spray is nasty like I do, you could just rub some butter on it.)
  2. Melt your chips.  If using the semisweet, add vanilla.  Quickly fold in cookie pieces with a spatula.  Scrape into prepared pan, and spread to 1/2 inch thick.  Refrigerate until solid, about 1 hour.
  3. Remove from pan, peel off paper.  Use a good sharp knife and chop into 12 bars or 24 triangles.
We chopped ours a little smaller than the recipe says.


Linked up at 4 Moms' favorite holiday recipes!

No comments: