Thursday, October 27, 2011

Weekly Challenge: 4 Girls, One Room - Week 2

Wow, it's already been a week, and I get to show off some amazing progress...accomplished with some amazing help.  Grandma caught the scent of an organizing project and rushed to my aid.  I am betting now that finishing this will take a lot less than a month.  (Thank you, again!!)  Here's what we did:


 First came a shopping trip to Ikea, where we decided to get their reversible bed, complete with the cool canopy.  (Sorry about the links being in pounds sterling...couldn't find the beds on the American site!) For now we can store a lot under it, and when baby Abby is ready for a big bed, another mattress can be placed under it to make low bunk beds, perfect for a toddler bed.  To me, it saves space now and money later - can't beat that.  (Except that it took three long, tortuous hours to assemble...probably someone who knew what they were doing could do it a bit faster!) 








As you can see we managed to keep the dresser, thanks to everything that fits under the bed. Not done yet, there is still a lot of tedious sorting of tiny toys to be done...










But here is the closet...that big white bookshelf that was by the window is in there now, and the toy chest that was in the closet is under Becca's bed.  That will help use the closet space more sensibly.  I didn't bother taking a picture of the other side of the closet, the bunk beds, or the portable bassinet, because they haven't changed. The closet doors do move now, though.  The kids are amazed to find that the closet can be closed...







 Looks enormously better, due to a great deal of clearing out, rearranging, and vacuuming.  There is more left to do than it looks like - there are several bins, boxes, and baskets hidden here and there, and they all look like this:

So that's what I'm doing for my little challenge this coming week.  I bet you are terribly jealous.  I'm tempted to just leave them hidden away...but I know what will happen.  Suddenly one day someone will remember some long-lost treasure and go digging...and then more long lost treasures will be found...and then in the avaricious pursuit of even more plastic wealth, the whole bin will be carried off and dumped out at the top of the stairs.  Bits and pieces of games we don't even own anymore will percolate down the stairs and throughout the house, and no one will know where they belong, so when I say, "clean up!" my merry little tribe will pile the lot of it on the kitchen counter.  Before we know it there will be dinosaurs and Legos in the tuna casserole...

So I guess I had better head off trouble by sorting it out (and probably throwing half of it away) this week.  I hope this has given you a few ideas for your own spaces!

4 Girls, One Room - Week 1 
4 Girls, One Room - Week 2 
4 Girls, One Room - Week 3
4 Girls. One Room - Week 4 

5 comments:

shanelle said...

Looks great Desiree!!! good job and very creative!

Grace said...

What a task! I could do with soem similar decluttering... though sadly paying for Ikea in pounds sterling does nothing to ease the task of self-assembly.

Desiree said...

No I don't imagine it would...;) Glad you stopped by!

Patti said...

I am so impressed by much you accomplished in just one week. We have a room that looks like this one did and it makes me think there is hope! :-)

Desiree said...

There's always hope...I figure the floor's got to still be there somewhere. ;)I am pretty happy with it - I have dreaded the thought of clearing it out for months. Just a few loose ends to tie up now. Now, if I could only convince myself that there is still hope for MY room...:-/