Saturday, October 22, 2011

New Arrivals!

They're here!  Five strong baby rabbits arrived this afternoon.  It was a tremendously exciting event.  I actually missed it...dashed out to the grocery store.  I was gone for all of half an hour.  Fortunately Erin took pictures for me!

Here they are being counted.  Totally counter intuitive to me, but you have to distract the mom with a treat and snatch the whole nest box, and take the kits out and look them over.

 Here is a picture of the nest shortly before the birth; she has it dug pretty deep.
 This is the nest with the newborn kits inside.  The mother tears the fur from her belly and uses it to line the nest and cover the hairless babies to keep them warm. You can see her pulling out mounds of fur below -  

The new mom with a well-earned bowl of oats.





Quite an adventure!  So glad Erin gets the opportunity to do this.  I'll put up more pictures as they grow!

3 comments:

NW said...

Aw, how cute! I wish I could have spoken with Erin and Anna all about that on Sunday!

Josh and Laura Lang said...

This is so much fun! What a great experience!

Desiree said...

Thanks for reading, you guys! :)