Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Like trees in November..."

Aspens last year
The title is a quote from one of my favorite books - Watership Down by Richard Adams.  If you haven't read it, you should.

Anyway, it came to mind today as I was looking out the window for some fall colors (and yes I know it's not November yet.  It's just a quote, after all.).   If it's fall where you live, I hope you are having some beautiful colors.  The trees here seem reluctant to turn this year.  I'm sure if I went looking I could find some, but around the neighborhood, most of them are still green; the ones that are turning are kind of dull.  Then there are a few that seemed to drop all their leaves overnight!

I got to thinking that people can be very like those trees; we go through so many different times in our lives and it affects how we feel and act.  We can have times when we are happy, healthy, and ordinary, green in the summer sun.  We have brief seasons where we are in our element and we just shine - or when we could have, but for whatever reason the conditions just weren't right, and we just sputtered out instead.  We all have winters when things are bleak and dark, and we just shut down to try to make it through till spring, when against all hope we begin to bloom again.

We ought to expect this, and be ready for it.  We are made this way, and we live in a fallen world where winter comes. If we understand this about ourselves, it's a lot easier to be gracious to others who may be in a different season from us.  I think we moms in particular are tempted to compete and compare ourselves to each other; let's pray for softer, stronger hearts that can build each other up, instead.

"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." ~ Proverbs 27:17 NKJV




3 comments:

Tammy said...

I like this post...especially the last part. I admit that I compare myself to other moms a lot, and usually I fall short, way short, in my own mind. But we are all so different, and we are all in different seasons and have different callings. We need to be attuned to what God wants for us instead of what others think we ought or ought not to be doing. Maybe this isn't what you are saying, but this is how it is hitting me. Thanks :).

Cara Coffey said...

Lovely thoughts, and I agree.

Thank you!

Desiree said...

Thanks for your comments! And yes, that's exactly what I was saying. :)