Friday, October 28, 2011

Cooking for Carnivores: Any Way You Slice It


So tonight I learned why my cookbook doesn't show a picture of Beef Stroganoff.  Tasty it may be, but it's just not all that photogenic!  See what I mean?  Or maybe I'm just not cut out to be a food photographer.  I was kind of in a hurry to eat it....

Oh well.  The main point is this: a good way to stretch meat is to cut it up and serve it with a starch.  There are a million ways to do this:

  • Fried rice
  • Creamed chicken and biscuits
  • Pot pies
  • Chicken and dumplings
  • Greek style pork with rice
  • Chicken and rice
  • Beef Stroganoff
  • Cowboy chili
Just off the top of my head.  There are a ton more.  I haven't included any ground beef recipes with this; I think of that as a whole separate category.







For the Beef Stroganoff, I took two lbs of petite sirloin steaks (bought on sale, of course!), partially froze it and sliced it very thin:











Stirred together a lb of sour cream, 1/4 c flour, 1 cup of water, 4t beef bouillon granules, and some pepper.






Cooked half the beef in olive oil in a medium hot skillet, removed from the skillet, then cooked the other half of the meat with a lb of sliced mushrooms, one chopped onion, and a heaping teaspoon of bottled garlic.  Mind you cook the onion long enough, or your 11 year old might ask what the crunchy bits are...not that I undercooked the onions this time, or anything.

Added everything back to the pan, plus the sauce, bring to boiling and cook for a minute or two more.  Serve it with noodles. We had it with a green salad.  This version served 6 with generous leftovers.

Speaking of the recipe, it's adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens again.  I use that book all the time, it was wonderful to have in my early married days when I didn't know much about cooking.  It's still great, because it pretty much has a good recipe for any basic dish.  Here is my very well-loved edition:

Don't mind Super-Mouse there in the corner...

Everybody liked the stroganoff.  Not counting my five and three year olds, because they are in a bit of a phase and don't like anything.  So everybody who likes anything liked it!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I think it's the combo of 70's-green plate and cream-sauced dish that did in the photography... Perhaps, oh, on a blue plate and with a bit of parsley if you're ever giving stroganoff another photo op? ;)

It's so much fun to see kitchen things I know and have used on a "cooking blog" instead of just random ones!