Thursday, December 24, 2009

More on submission

This is the big topic on my mind lately. I am always thinking about the ways that feminism has poisoned our society and affected our thinking.

Recently through some reading I've been doing (Passionate Housewives Desperate for God is a Really Good Book), I feel I have come to a fuller understanding of what it means to submit to my husband. I think my initial understanding of this was very shallow - in the line of "when we disagree and can't work it out, Mark wins." True enough as far as it goes...which, really, isn't very far, is it?

I am enjoying exploring ways that I can honor him as the head of the house, ways that have nothing to do with conflict. Things that ruffle my pride - like actually taking suggestions on how he would like me to manage certain tasks like stocking the pantry, organizing DVD's. In these areas that I consider "mine," my knee-jerk reaction to criticism or suggestion is to be defensive, dismissive, or both. It should not be so. Is it not my goal to create a home for him that is a place of comfort and peace, personally tailored to help him be and do everything that God has for him? How better to do that than to pay attention to what is pleasing, what isn't, and work to make our environment as comfortable and effective as possible.

Anyway, that is what's on my mind. I am really thinking about these issues and learning so much that I should have known years ago. I am so thankful to be where I am!

1 comment:

NW said...

Amen sister! I have been thinking similiar things. I often ask myself (in the midst of a spurious battle with my husband), "would I rather that my husband have a nagging wife or a submissive wife?" Oftentimes, I would much rather that my husband have a nag-free wife than have things my way.