Thursday, October 23, 2008

My new soapbox...

Ok, maybe it's because I never took political science, and I spend a lot more time thinking about diapers, arithmetic, and how to pay next months rent than I do about politics....but lately the scorn for third party voters just doesn't make sense to me. People don't vote outside the two-party system, because a third party candidate "can't win". A third party candidate "can't win" because people don't vote for him. But wait, people don't vote for him, because he can't win, because people don't vote for him.

You don't have to be married to a philosopher to figure out that that reasoning is painfully circular. All it would take to break the two-party stranglehold is for people to stop thinking that they can only make a difference if they vote for a republican or a democrat. We don't HAVE to vote for the lesser of two evils. We can vote for good instead. I don't think that is wildly idealistic.

An enormous amount of people don't even vote; so many that it actually takes only about a third of the population to take the election. Which to me, means that if evangelicals were less pragmatic and voted for the BEST (not best-that-is-most-likely-to-win) candidate...we could end up with a President who is really, unequivocally pro-life.

No comments: